..the interior of socorro mission..
The original Franciscan mission, Nuestra SeÃ±ora de la ConcepciÃ³n del Socorro, was founded in 1682 by the Franciscan order, to serve displaced American Indians (the Piro, Tano and Jemez) from New Mexico, who fled during the Pueblo Revolt. The present Socorro Mission was constructed around 1840 to replace an earlier 18th-century mission destroyed in 1829 by flooding of the Rio Grande. The mission, constructed of adobe surfaced with stucco, is particularly notable for its interior. The finely painted and decorated beams, or vigas, are from the 18th-century mission and were reused when the present church was constructed. The massing, details and use of decorative elements of the Socorro Mission show strong relationships to the building traditions of 17th-century Spanish New Mexico.