..so here was the view from the parking lot, and this one’s the view from when you get off at the end of the tram ride..
*my theme’s not suited for panoramas so just click on this thumbnail below to supersize it..
The Ysleta del Sur Pueblo (“the Pueblo”) is a U.S. federally recognized Native American tribe and sovereign nation. The Pueblo is one of three tribes located in Texas and the only Pueblo located in the state. The Tribal community, known as “Tigua”, was established in 1682 after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. Since then, the Tribe has retained a significant presence in the El Paso region that helped pave the way for the development of the area. The Tribe maintains its traditional political system and ceremonial practices and continues to flourish as a Pueblo community. Tribal enrollment is over 1,600 citizens. (source)
..the view from the top of one of the franklin mountains..
..signal towers on Ranger Peak..
..another view from up the tram..
..the opposite view..
..presidio chapel of san elizario undergoing renovation..
..the interior of socorro mission..
The original Franciscan mission, Nuestra SeÃ±ora de la ConcepciÃ³n del Socorro, was founded in 1682 by the Franciscan order, to serve displaced American Indians (the Piro, Tano and Jemez) from New Mexico, who fled during the Pueblo Revolt. The present Socorro Mission was constructed around 1840 to replace an earlier 18th-century mission destroyed in 1829 by flooding of the Rio Grande. The mission, constructed of adobe surfaced with stucco, is particularly notable for its interior. The finely painted and decorated beams, or vigas, are from the 18th-century mission and were reused when the present church was constructed. The massing, details and use of decorative elements of the Socorro Mission show strong relationships to the building traditions of 17th-century Spanish New Mexico.
..KTSM transmitter tower in El Paso, TX..
..one of the missions we passed by along mission trail in el paso, tx..
..adobe establishments in el paso, tx..
San Elizario Chapel, as known as La Capilla de San Elcear, was never a mission, but it functioned as a presidio chapel. It provided the religious needs of a presidio or an outpost of military personnel. The presidio was moved to the present site in 1789, to protect travelers and settlers along the Camino Real (Royal Highway) which ran from Mexico City through Juarez City, Mexico then called Paso del Norte to Santa Fe, NM. Its close proximity to the Ysleta and Socorro missions also provided protection for them.When Mexico became independent from Spain in 1821, the military presence at the presidio decreased. By 1848, the presidio had fallen into ruins. Rebuilding efforts began in 1853, with a small church. This proved inadequate and the present structure was completed in 1882. The exterior appearance has ever since changed very little.